I suggest you ...

A new OSM logo

The current OSM logo does not reflect the technical advancement of OSM. It is a nice idea, but it is time for a new, more professional logo. There was recently a contest for the openstreetmap foundation with excellent entries. A same event should be held for OSM. The current logos has the flare of the early 90s and is not a timeless piece

146 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    HannoHanno shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HannoHanno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the logo can be a glossy web 2.0, or a timeless piece. Nice logos are Lufthansa, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Boeing, 3M, google, which some are over a 100 years old, but don't look out of place.

The current logo displays a magnifying glass showing that underneath the rendered map there is a data layer which it is derived from. Great idea, but:

1. It does not scale (a small OSM logo is unrecognizable, blurry and pixelated)
        2. The magnifying glass looks neither abstract nor realistic, same for the map. The handle is 3D, the glass itself is 2D and the map is pseudo 3D. Complete lack of consistency
        3. The lines look poor and pixelated
        4. It is to randomly colorful, people can't associate colors with it. It's not Big Blue (IBM)

I think the logo served it's purpose at the time and I don't think that I would have done a better one. But, I am sure there are tons of people out there who could do a more professional job. It would better to do it now then in a few years. You could also start a new marketing campaign with it

• TomHTomH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well actually I was thinking that the current logo didn't really seem to fit in somehow with the rest of the design so maybe we should think about updating it in some way?

Feedback and Knowledge Base