I suggest you ...

Put many more examples of map and data use, perhaps on the third page.

205 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris HillChris Hill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kai KruegerKai Krueger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This suggestion seems to be very similar to "Put many more examples of map and data use, perhaps on the third page", so the comments there apply to this thread too.

I would like to see more maps too, as it nicely highlights the free as in freedom of OSM. It would also be good to see the layer chooser designed in a way that it could scale to accommodate a lot more maps without looking crowded. But TomH's comment in the other thread is definitely valid. The mapnik map sees over 1000 requests per second, over 10 Tb of data a month corresponding to a good 60 - 70 mbit/s continuos transfer during the day, so it is something the external map providers would need to be aware of and need to agree to and unfortunately not many can provide this. But perhaps with the Fossgis servers, the wikimedia toolserver, the french osm servers and more resources becoming available to the project, perhaps some of these maps can be made to cope with the traffic.

• TomHTomH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem is that putting somebody's map on our frontpage will massively increase the load on their servers and the bandwidth they're having to pay for - just ask Andy about how much bandwidth we use by putting the cycle map there.

• Chris HillChris Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The mapnik map is certainly something to draw people in, but easy access to other examples will inspire some people. The existing blue & white cross is a bit cryptic and doesn't have many examples on it. We must be able to do better than send people to the wiki for their first taste of help. Videos are a good idea and some low bandwidth alternatives (text and small pics) would be good too.

Feedback and Knowledge Base