I suggest you ...

fullscreen map !

with OSM logo, search & controls on top of it ...

144 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    francois.vanderbiestfrancois.vanderbiest shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • emjemj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All mapping services have "use full screen map" link. Not all of them are really full screen, but at least with less crap around the edges.

• !i!Admin!i! (Admin, openstreetmap) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I understand Steve right this is a feature only for 'consumers'? Cause the others need editing, PM,....
        Even consumers wan't to search IMHO so I see no reason for a fullscreen mode, that is suitible for tools like Marble that focus more on exploring an area....

• SteveCAdminSteveC (Admin, openstreetmap) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the nice ways to sidestep this is like how youtube and others have a 'dim the lights' button, it could have a 'hide the fluff' button which simply and quickly expands the map to sometthing near fullsize.

• TomHTomH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Which is exactly the kind of basic core question we should have been asking before we started on actual designs... I used to be all in favour of the full sized map and didn't designs which de-emphasised it like the three panel design that somebody once did.

More recently I've tended to round to thinking that something like the three panel design, which more space to explain what the project is, is the way to go - with a prominent way to expand the map to something like what this design is proposing. Logged in users could also choose to have that as their default view.

• Shaun McDonaldShaun McDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

-1 The front page of OSM should be more about the project and the data than a scrollable map with search. There are plenty of other places that you can go to get a full screen map, or you can even roll your own with your custom style, which is nice and easy with the CloudMade style editor.

Feedback and Knowledge Base