I suggest you ...

design for small screens (e.g: iphone/netbook)

it would be great if the design worked for small screens. for example, the current osm.org site is sort-of OK for mobile-sized screens (320 or 480px in width). it would be even better if the design didn't rely on browser identification (which is flaky and a pain to implement), but used standards-compliant methods like CSS media selectors.

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kai KruegerKai Krueger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Symbian phones also don't seem to support it. At least the older ones. But it is still the correct way to do it.

• TomHTomH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Shaun says, we already use media selectors, which works on most modern mobile devices - the most common one which doesn't support them is probably Pocket IE on Windows Mobile.

• Shaun McDonaldShaun McDonald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Um you'll find that the current implementation is based on CSS selectors rather than browser detection. Take the desktop browser window and reduce the width of the window to less that 482pixels, and you'll get you have on the iPhone and other small devices that support CSS properly.
        If you take a look at the top of the HTML of the site, you'll see:
        <link href="/stylesheets/site-sml.css?1256341139" media="only screen and (max-width: 481px)" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
        <link href="/stylesheets/site.css?1256341139" media="screen and (min-width: 482px)" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Feedback and Knowledge Base